Sunday 25 January 2009

Here we go again.

Dunno why um bungo... Was just the first thing that came to my mind when trying to think of a new blog name that held reference to the new project. Now...time to once again poison the Internet with the weird and wonderful musings and creations of my mind.

I'm not gonna type out the project brief like some of the others have done, because I think i can explain everything without copying the ridiculous technical jargon that the briefs are made of. We were given the choice of 3 areas each specializing in a different aspect of the industry (games level design,animation - an ident for the national gallery, or character design for London zoo) and each with its own brief. I chose the character design brief because it (obviously) was the most character driven which is what interests me. I had held hopes for the animation(national gallery) brief but reading through it sounded more like a moving image project and to me seemed kinda limited and boring compared to the Zoo project.

For the character design brief we were given a list of 5 characters and had to design, model and rig two of them and do some animation to show how flexible our creations were. This initially sounded like a ridiculous amount of work till it was explained to us that we could do one character but all the work had to be done to a high standard (why do two crap ones when you can do one good one?) So i opted for that.

The characters we were given were-

Willie Billiams, some kid with two my sugar in his bloodstream who liked things with legs.
Pocahontas Billiams, (kinda crappy name) some kid who's life's aspirations was to become a gorilla.
Wilhemina Billiams, (really weird family when it comes to names) A grandmothers who obesses over cleanliness or lack of.
Wee Eck McGlone, a zoo keeper who sounds very much like our tutor Jared.
And Cornelius, a gorilla.

I chose the gorilla. Mainly because i thought it was the most interesting and flexible character on the list, and would be the most fun to model and animate.
We were also set a list of limitations... the one that really stood out to me though was "using a visual style that reflects traditional “Claymation” techniques but will be generated using CG processes." Now I'm someone who believes that claymation should be done in clay and Cg should be done in computer, if your looking for a claymation feel to your piece then do it in clay! This is the biggest problem i have with the brief but I'm gonna go with it and see where it takes me.

Ive elected to work alone on this project, theres no specific reason for this its just that most of the others seemed to wanna go solo so i thought i would do the same, gives me alot more creative control over the piece. I enjoy working with others just as much as i enjoy working by myself so I've got no problems with this. Plus i get to do and learn a bit about every aspect of the creation process which i find appealing. No allocated jobs for me!

Right I'm done, let the madness ensue...

No comments:

Post a Comment